What is Technical SEO?
Technical SEO is the process of optimizing a website for search engines with the goal of improving the visibility and organic search results of the site. The main focus of technical SEO is on improving the site’s architecture and structure, as well as the quality of the site’s code and content. Technical SEO can also involve optimizing the server and network infrastructure of the site. One of the most important aspects of technical SEO is site speed.
What are the benefits of technical SEO?
There are many benefits to technical SEO, including: 1. Increased website visibility: Technical SEO can help to increase your website’s visibility in search engine results pages (SERPs), which can in turn lead to more website traffic and conversions. 2. Improved website crawlability and indexation: Technical SEO can help to improve your website’s crawlability and indexation, which can make it easier for search engines to find and index your website’s content.
Some key elements of technical SEO include:
- Site Architecture – Organizing the structure of a site properly through a search engine friendly information architecture and internal link structure. This helps search bots crawl and understand the site.
- Indexation – Ensuring pages get properly crawled, indexed and maintained in search engines. This involves fixes for any crawl errors.
- Page Speed – Optimizing page load times by minimizing code, browser requests, server response times, etc. Faster page speeds improve rankings.
- Mobile Optimization – Making sure a site is mobile-friendly and fast loading on mobile devices. Mobile-first indexing is critical for Google rankings.
- Technical Audits – Identifying technical issues like broken links, meta tag problems, duplicate content problems etc. and correcting them.
- XML Sitemaps – Creating a sitemap.xml file to facilitate indexing of all important pages on a site.
- URL Structure – Creating clean, semantic, hierarchical page URLs with keywords.
- Server Configuration – Properly configuring web servers for good crawling and indexing.
- Schema Markup – Adding schema code to pages to help search bots understand page content.
- Accessibility – Ensuring a website meets accessibility standards through compliant code.
The goal of technical SEO is to remove barriers that hinder search engines from properly crawling, indexing, and ranking relevant pages on a website. Taking care of the technical foundations enables other SEO efforts to be more effective.